Sunday, March 2, 2008

Letter Home #1

January 20, 1917
17:37, Bulls Trench

My Dearest Mary,

I’m turning in for the night, it’s just getting colder and colder out here, I could go for a nice warm cup of your homemade apple cider right ‘bout now. I’ve never been stuck in anything quite this cold. So far I’m alright, no injuries or nothin’ but a few of my buddies aren’t doin’ so well. Ron he had to have his leg cut off from that darn frost bite, the worst sound I’ve ever heard a drunken man yellin’. I’m so thirsty, water is scarce cuz of the cold and all. One minute you got water and the next you got yourself a giant chunk of ice. You could never imagine anything quite this cold, even when that darn heater of ours went out this is way colder, but don’t worry I’m taken good care of myself.
Tomorrow we’re moving on to a new trench, Sergeant says its got heating but it’s gonna cost us. We might get sick cuz you can’t have no chimney and such so smoke will stay in but we’d all rather cough a little then freeze to death you know? Probably not but trust me it will be better. Extra clothes would be nice but we ain’t got enough fund to get everybody clothes so only the top guys get them, I guess I’ll have to work harder for them.
I don’t want you to worry ‘bout me I’m doin’ just fine. I’ll be home soon I hope once things warm up and settle on down. This is kinda pointless letter but I had to let you know I’m doing alright but I’ll right again real soon to you don’t you worry darlin’.

With best of love to my sweet darling wife,
Lloyd

No comments: